Saturday, June 7, 2008

The ZOO...oh so much to say...



SO today we set out to obtain our Zoo pass and begin our year of fun that it will encompass. All was going well and we were all having FUN! We entered the "tot spot", which on a side note I must say is a really cool part of the Zoo for the little ones, spent awhile checked it all out and headed for the exit back to the main zoo.

This is where things get crazy...I was in the lead with the stroller and Jimmy followed by Dave with Timmy on his shoulders and I assumed an Addy sandwiched in between us. Well at rounding the exit Dave yells up "Is Addy by you?" I turn frantic already and say "I thought she was back with you!" At this we split into teams...this isn't the first time Addy has disappeared in a public place. Sad to say but I don't think it will be the last either. Here's the thing Addy is an adventurous girl, so no doubt she was having a blast exploring and NOT yelling "I'm lost" or "MOM, DAD". So after about 5 frantic minutes that seemed an eternity my little angel (with horns) appears center crowd like nothings wrong. I rush her, I hug her, I chew her out! SO many emotions all at once. I call Dave and we meet back up (thank goodness for cell phones!). At this we slam Addy in the stroller and take a lunch break. As the day progressed she was confined to the stroller or to the Elmo leash much to her disappointment. But it worked, she was with us and no getting away...

Later in the afternoon while in the Africa part of the Zoo, a sudden urgent cry of a child's name comes out as a frantic mother runs past. My heart went out to her...I was there just a few hours ago. As I stood helpless hoping at any moment her daughter would answer her desperate cries that echoed past the lions and the tigers, I glanced around to see a couple holding one small child giving a disapproving scowl at this woman. At this I heard the man utter to the woman something to the effect of "way to be a parent" in a most sarcastic way. At that moment I wanted to trample the man and point out that it only takes half a second for a little one to wander and be lost in a crowded sea of people, but then I wondered was this man right? Am I and Dave to blame for Addy's disappearance earlier in the day? Were we being neglectful parents? OR is it just Addy's nature and a sad mishap? I don't know, is this man naive to children because he only had one young child with two adults to tend to it?

I want some feedback please. And be honest, I won't take offense. What is your opinion regarding this type of situation...busy, crowded, public place and a child wonders...whose to blame? how can you keep it from happening? can you, or is it inevitable? Whether you have no children or 10! Doesn't matter I want some feedback. And by the way to those of you with more kids, how do you do it? Because clearly we can't keep up with 3!

OK on to a cheerier note! Anyone who is interested here is your open invitation!!! Whether you live in town, hours away, or states away...let us know if you want to visit the zoo with us! We got the contributing membership which means we can bring up to 5 guests each time we visit (children under 3 don't count against the guests, they are free :)). We would love to see any and all of our friends! Whether you come for the day or want to make a weekend of it...just let us know!

6 comments:

Sara said...

Love the Zoo. Would love to go with you (too far away though)...Dave wanna work here in Pittsburgh? Move here! I know, I know, you're happy where you are :) and I don't blame you any. Glad you all have a great time at the Zoo and Addy's mishap...hmm, how should I answer your questions? My children are perfect. They always mind. They always do what I want. They never wander. HA HA HA HA HA. If anyone EVER says that, either they are really really really really blind or blessed!! Ha Ha.

Okay, so to REALLY answer some of your questions...if I can remember them now that I've rambled nonsense. I believe kids both develop with their nature AND through nurture. They come with their personalities and they also pick up/learn from their environment (and not just their parents). What to do? I don't think another parent or adult should judge another because every child is different (through nature and nurture). An example is from Stephen Covey about a paradigm shift is how a dad with his young children was on a subway and someone asked him to control his kids and his response was, "Their mother just died." So, you see, everyone has different circumstances and no kid is perfect all the time.

It happens. Kids get lost. What people should do is HELP not judge. Grace and mercy, you know.

I hope this makes sense. I'm running on empty today, so that's all i can conjure up :)

Love ya. Glad you found Addy. She is a good girl, leashless too :)

Sara said...

Oh, and me again...if a parent knows a child is a wanderer, like you, you did the right thing, gave you a chance to choose the right way....but then when she chose to wander, you put her in the stroller, therefore losing her privilege to walk like a big girl. That happens with William too. ;) Bet you knew that already though!

Steph Thomas said...

Liz,
Would you please send me Lola and Del Var's Wedding Day and Location? Thanks,
Steph Thomas
Bryan 1st Ward
sthomasaz@yahoo.com

Foster Family said...

Okay, well we have a 13 and 7 year old. The 13 was not much of a wanderer, but the 7 now that is a different story. However, my nephew was also one and he did it to my sister and I in Wal-mart. Scared us to death. When we found him, I ripped him a good one. I don't think he has done it since. You are right, giving her the opportunity to do the right thing and when she doesn't suffering the consequences. It is hard to tell our kids "no" but it is our jobs as parents to let them learn from their mistakes. Otherwise, how are they going to grow up as responsible adults. You guys are doing a great job with the kids, never second guess what you are doing or how! Look you have one starting school soon!!

Stamp With Linz said...

That is so hard. I only have 2, so there's a 1-on-1 ratio. I think it depends on the kiddo. I remember being at the zoo & hearing that someone had lost their 3-year old. I remember thinking, "How could they do that? Weren't they watching her?" And then the worry of a mother came in, "What if something happened to that little one? Like with the animals or the strangers wandering the park?" So I'm just super cautious at the zoo. Now then this past weekend at my Sydnee's birthday party- both of my girls wandered off at one time (at the children's museum). Todd & I thought the other one had them. So it can happen. But I do think that parents are too tough on themselves and each other. I honestly believe that every parent (or at least most) tries their best...just as you did and do. Hope that helps!

Nicole Howard said...

Liz, I enjoyed your post. I totally understand. It is a litle nerve wracking keeping track of kids. I am glad all ended up well.